Saturday, July 19, 2008

Raised by New Kids on the Block

A fellow fan posted some videos on youtube that shot me back to 1989 and made me realize where the roots of my "cleanliness" derived from.

Donnie's interview with Jordan on Youthquake. Jordan's words ingrained into my head forever:
"New Kids say no to drugs, we stand against drugs and we want all of YOU to say no to drugs too and lead a drug free positive life."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wm5VUtWN4xc

Joe & Danny being interviewed on ET. When asked what Joe's family taught him, I did the same:
"Be a nice person, be kind, that was the biggest thing that my mother & father always, to be positive, and just to live a good life, to try as hard as you can."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q1GmpMY6EtI

New Kids on the Block Hangin Out from Hangin Tough video. Donnie's voice: "We came here to do a job and that's to be good role models to every kid in the country and in the world...that's what we want to get across to the kids. We want them to know that it's cool to not do drugs and it's cool to not be in gangs and stuff and it's cool to just basically be yourself. Pretty much all we can hope for, just to create a better environment for the kids cuz they are the future..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5jY5UK0zHpE

Yes ladies & gentlemen. These videos are evidence of my so-called "cheesy" & "corny" roots. I was 13 years old and I was so "moldable." I needed someone to tell me that it's okay if I don't want to start smoking or doing drugs or whatever. I needed someone to make me feel like there was nothing wrong with me being me. I needed someone to make me feel loved all around when my family was falling apart at the seams.

I know I've said it before why New Kids are so important to me and that they were really the ones who raised me but to view the actual evidence of where the "parenting" came from was a very powerful moment for me. It made me think about all the kids today and how they don't have any band like this to tell them how wonderful they are if they could just be themselves. It made me cry just a little bit for the memory of all those harsh moments I had in junior high when NKOTB was considered "uncool" just because they were drug-free. It reminded me that I am a result of their positivity and I am proud to call myself a bonafide Blockhead!! :)

I pray to God that the younger generation of today get to witness at least SOME of the influential phenomena that went on 20 years ago. It's important to me that fans & non-fans alike understand that NKOTB are not here to prove something to anyone. They're just here to have fun, to reconnect with the fans, and to make some good music!! The next single is called "Dirty Dancing" and I heard it's got an incredible hook! I can't wait to hear it. Only 12 more weeks until I meet Donnie Wahlberg. I hope I will be able to lose some more weight!! :P

In 15 hours, I will be meeting some other NKOTB fans in my area and I'm very excited to be united with fellow Blockheads. Who knew that this mania would bring like-minded individuals together? I'm anxious to hear stories, share pictures, take pictures, and make new friends. We're all supposed to go in our New Kid gear in order to represent. I think I'll wear my NKOTB denim jacket. I love it to death though and I'm afraid it may get dirty. We'll see.

3 comments:

Sandra Carvalho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Carvalho said...

Hi Ava!Thanks for stopping by!It's so good to know that there are more people like me!Guess what?I'm also 31 and I'm an Aquarius too!LOL!I would certainly go for some NKOTB gigs but I'll have to wait till they come over here (Portugal) which I think they wont...Oh well...
I'll add you into my blogroll if you don't mind.
Take care girl.

Lexi Knight said...

Hi Ava,
Thanks for checking out my blog. I neglected it for a month there but I'm back. I'm not from California but I think I did pick up "hella" from a roommate who grew up in Berkeley. Your post really resonated with me, although I don't live as "clean" as the NKOTB used to talk about. I remember being totally shocked when a magazine ran a photo of Donnie where you could see his tattoo AND he was smoking. Their views on anti-racism, God and loving your mother definitely reminded me of the person I wanted to be as a teenager (and adult).