Saturday, August 9, 2008

Why is it so scare crazy?

Scary some say. New Kids on the Block make the Blockheads go CCCRRRAAZZZYYY!!! Why?

I have been pondering this question for awhile. Why do they make us so crazy, head over heels insane? What is it about them that causes such an uproarious reaction to just the slightest thought or glimpse of them?

I was watching some new footage for KARE11 in Minneapolis and something the reporter said really struck me. She was reporting on the Mall of America event on 8/8/08 when the New Kids on the Block showed up to perform for a mere 15 minutes. To describe what it was like for the fans, she said "It's like a page from the past coming to life."



Perfect. That got me to thinking. It makes sense. When we were all young fans, for some of us (including me), after loving their music and seeing them dance, perform and show love to the fans, we swooned over these guys. They entered our dreams, our fantasies, and our lives. During those awkward, formative, adolescent years, they were the ones we referred to as our pseudo boyfriends, so we went crazy over them! The hormones within all of us shot up 1000% and we didn't know what to do but to scream whenever we saw them on tv, on merchandise, in concerts, on the radio, etc.

When it all died down and they disbanded, it was like someone you love, disappearing from your life forever, nowhere to be found. Depending on how much they meant to you and how much they influenced you, this type of news could make or break you. Some fans moved on, some fans' hearts were broken, some fans remained hopeful that they would come back...maybe someday.

That day was January 28, 2008 for me. That was the day I found out about the possible reunion. I was one of those fans who did not move on, did not hope for a reunion, and did not have my heart broken. I was one of those fans who chose to remember, to reminisce, to remain. I never did think they would get back together but I never left that door to a reunion closed neither.

Today, I certainly am enjoying this reunion for the nostalgic, reminiscent of the good old days, factor that it is. I'm also happy about the new music they're putting out because I am so sick & tired of the non-fans clowning on their music. I've encountered plenty of people who are willing to admit that their new music is really good but seriously, it shouldn't be like that. If you think about it, if NKOTB never had these crazy, over-the-top, insane, screaming at the top of their lungs fans, they might never have had the backlash that they did back then and maybe today, they wouldn't be associated with the words "cheesy" or "corny" or "lame". I'm not blaming the fans. I'm not blaming ANYONE for that matter. Media took advantage of them AND us and made it into something that never should have been blown out of proportion in the first place. Just an lingering thought I've had for awhile now.

There will always be two sides to this discussion. There's the music industry that thinks the boyband's past plan of "over-merchandising" on the name was genius(but it wasn't their idea, I'm sure). And then there are the fans of grassroots musicians who rise to the top based on struggling with getting their talent out there who will always see NKOTB as a "manufactured" non-band because they think they didn't struggle enough to get big. We can't win over everyone and we're not trying to.

I don't want the mania that happened back in the day to resurface because those days were too much. Yes, those feelings they gave us were amazing. They got us giddy & happy & swooning. Today, although some fans are married, have kids, or are no longer as big of a fan, the New Kids are still a childhood memory come alive, reminding us of who we once used to be when we were young.

I love you, New Kids on the Block. I always will.

1 comment:

Sandra Carvalho said...

You're so right about that.
They're part of my teenage days and it's part of what I am today.
I'm married and I've kids and the way I feel for them may not be the same, but they still are a huge reference to me.
xoxo