Saturday, August 2, 2008

New Sounds at Bindlestiff Studio

This is the first week of Bindlestiff Studio's Stories High Show. It's a show that is a Bindlestiff tradition where there are these writing, directing & acting workshops that culminate into this show. So the writers in the writing workshop create stories in script form and those scripts get handed to the students in the directing workshop. Then the directing workshops folks get their actors from those in the acting workshop and the results are always amazing. I love the Bindlestiff community. Yes, it has its ups & its downs but I doubt you'll ever find a community that is always on the up & up.

On the plus side, this gave me an opportunity to expose NKOTB's music to different people who might have never heard their sound before. I'm always entertained when non-fans groove to their jams. To folks who don't know Bindlestiff Studio, let me just tell you that its musical forte usually walks along the lines of local rock, hip hop, grunge, punk, indigenous, & heavy metal. Once in awhile, pop, house or R & B may pop their head every so often but not quite. So, for me to hear New Kids on the Block within THIS community? Well, let's just say that I never held my breath that it would happen. However, productions allow you to do things you never thought possible.

So, I'm directing this play called "Non-Sequiturs" by Cathlin Goulding. Somehow, I found a place to insert "Click Click Click (Remix)". This song was written by Nasri, an up & coming Canadian R & B singer/songwriter. He originally sang Click and after Donnie got a hold of his demo tape, well, let's just say if it weren't for Nasri, there would BE no reunion. (The thought of that would stop my breath!)

Here's a peek at NKOTB's next single, coincidentally titled, "Single".

No comments: