Tuesday, January 29, 2008

NKOTB Reunion

Okay, you KNEW I had to talk about this. The web is all a buzz. I don't know what to say about this relic of a phenomenon. The infamous "Blockheads" come lurking out from their hiding places, seeking to find one another and recreate a long lost community. Yes, I admit it. I am certainly a part of this community and I have been wandering, aching, searching for my counterparts who have yet to reveal their true selves to my blatant identity as a New Kid fan. My circle of friends are aware of my past loves, current loves, and perhaps even my secret loves and no one has ever given me a reason to let it go.



So here I am, watching the newly created video that has just been put up on the web of http://www.nkotb.com/. I didn't expect much more than a skant paragraph of vague news about reunion. I didn't expect a short and sweet video clip, rewinding my emotional age to 16, giving me chilling goosebumps on my numbing cheeks, and watering my satiated eyes. It said, "They rose from the streets of Boston...To Become the biggest band in the world...They influenced a generation...They sold over 70 million albums and grossed more than one billion dollars...5 Multiplatinum albums, 10 Top 10 Singles, 5 Number One Singles...Then they walked away from it all...Millions of fans around the world await their return...Are you ready?"

Some may say this is pathetic, pitiful, annoying, retarded. But why? If the Beatles were to reunite, what would fans think of that? I'm sure Beatlemania would crawl out of its enclosed space and take over the middleaged world of underground pop. The negative criticism does not hinder me. I was 16 when I had this unconditional passion. My pink plastic NKOTB water bottle still sitting at my bedside table proves it. Without passion, we become a cold, cruel, heartless individual with no one to share their life with. We become my coworker.

From nkotb.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG9IqibdUsI

No comments: